Nurse Executive Certification (NE-BC®)
Credential Awarded: NE-BC®
The ANCC Nurse Executive board certification examination is competency based and provides a valid and reliable assessment of the entry level knowledge and skills of nurses with unit, team, service line, department, or program influence. Typically, these nurses are accountable for a single group of nurses and/or non-nursing staff and focus, in part, on daily operations, staffing, staff development, and individual and group performance. They make day-to-day, tactical decisions and are visible to the workforce.
After you fulfill all eligibility requirements and pass the certification examination, you are granted the credential NE-BC (Nurse Executive Board Certified). This credential and certification are valid for 5 years. You maintain this certification and credential by holding a current license to practice and renewing the certification every five years, by fulfilling the renewal criteria in effect at the time of your certification renewal.
The Nurse Executive board certification is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification (ABSNC).
See below for instruction and pricing for new and renewal applications.
Apply for Certification
Initial Certification Application
You may apply for this computer-based test year round and test during a 90-day window at a time and location convenient to you. The exam allows 3 hours to answer 150 questions (125 scored plus 25 pretest questions that are not scored). For exam prep resources, scroll down to view Study Aids. If you do not pass a certification exam, learn about retesting.
STEP 1: Confirm Pricing and Eligibility
See Pricing & Discounts
|Pricing & Discounts||INITIAL CERTIFICATION|
|American Nurses Association members||$295|
Eligibility on or after January 10, 2021
For tests on or after January 10, 2021
- Hold a current, active RN license in a state or territory of the United States or hold the professional, legally recognized equivalent in another country.
- Hold a baccalaureate or higher degree in nursing.
- At least 2000 hours of experience in a leadership, management, or administrative role with a primary responsibility for the daily operations and outcomes of one (1) or more unit(s)/departments within the last 3 years.
- Complete 30 hours of continuing education in leadership, management, or administration within the last 3 years.
(ANCC will accept unofficial transcripts, which ANCC defines as either a photocopy of a transcript, a comprehensive record of your academic progress or a print out of all work completed, to date, including coursework, grades and degree(s) earned or in progress – which will allow ANCC to process and review your application. ANCC reserves the right to reject any unofficial transcript that appears to be altered.)
Apply from Outside the U.S.
STEP 3: Submit Education Verification Documents
|Mail/E-Mail these materials:||Mailing address:||Email:|
All transcripts (Official/Unofficial)
8515 Georgia Avenue,
Final, Official Transcript. This is needed to become certified.
- Final, Official transcript = transcript must come directly from school and the degree conferral and date of degree/post-graduate certificate awarded is listed on transcript.
- Official transcript = transcript must come directly from school, either via hard-copy mail or through an electronic transcript submission service
- Unofficial transcript = a photocopy of a transcript, a comprehensive record of your academic progress or a print out of all work completed, to date, including coursework, grades and degree(s) earned (may come from the school or student)
Maintain & Renew
To maintain certification, complete professional development requirements between the start and end dates of your certification, and provide this information on your renewal application.
CALENDAR Your Renewal Date
Certifications are renewed every 5 years. You may submit a renewal application up to 1 year prior to your expiration. You may be ineligible to practice beyond your expiration date.
CREATE an ANCC Account
Track professional development, mail preferences and purchases in one place. Online applications are also stored in your account. Visit Access My Account
UPDATE Contact Information
If you move, change names or acquire a new phone or email, please update contact details in your account. Or email Customer Care or call 1.800.284.2378.
DISPLAY Your Credentials
Learn common questions and answers about displaying your credentials in the proper order.
Download How to Display Your Credentials.
Online renewal is simpler when you store professional development activities in your ANCC account immediately upon completion. At renewal, you can transfer stored information to the renewal application, saving time. Note: To renew online, you must store professional development activities before starting the online renewal application.
- After each activity, gather proof of professional development.
- Click Track Professional Development to the right.
- Enter and save professional development activities.
- From account summary, top right column, under Professional Development find links to enter continuing education (contact hours), academic credits, presentations, publications/research, preceptorship and professional service.
- Log out.
See Pricing & Discounts
|Pricing & Discounts||RENEWAL|
|American Nurses Association members* pay as low as||$250|
*Separate membership discounts apply.
- Prices above include $140 non-refundable administrative fee. Additional fees for special services may apply. See application for details.
- Discounts may be claimed for up to 5 business days after ANCC receives your application. Discount claims received after this time will not be honored and refunds will not be issued.
STEP 2: Submit Renewal Application
Required: BEFORE starting a renewal application online, proof of professional development must be entered and stored in your ANCC online account. To record professional development activities go to Track Professional Development with ANCC. Then return to renew online.
RENEW BY MAIL
If you would like to renew by mail, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.